Tooth decay is caused by a variety of things; in medical terms, cavities are called caries, which are caused by long-term destructive forces acting on tooth structures such as enamel and the tooth's inner dentin material. With conventional instruments, it is generally not possible to probe drop-shaped fissures. DIAGNOdent has the great advantage of detecting caries in the very early stage by measuring the laser fluroescence within the tooth structure. Which means you will get extremely precise results without x-ray exposure.
These destructive forces include frequent exposure to foods rich in sugar and carbohydrates; soda, candy, ice cream-even milk-are the common culprits. Left inside your mouth from non-brushing and flossing, these materials break down quickly, allowing bacteria to do their dirty work in the form of a harmful, colorless sticky substance called plaque.
The plaque works in concert with leftover food particles in your mouth to form harmful acids that destroy enamel and other tooth structures.
If cavities aren't treated early enough, they can lead to more serious problems requiring treatments such as root canal therapy.
Proven clinical results: Treatment decisions require a higher degree of certainty. The DIAGNOdent laser caries detection aid removes the doubt from treatment decisions regarding hidden caries ore questionable stained grooves. The device's ability to see into pits and fissures of a tooth enables dentists to treat sub-surface caries lesions with confidence.
Benefits to our patients
- Permits use of minimally invasive treatments without unnecessary preparation - ideal adjunct to air abrasion and micro rotary instruments.
- For the first time, allows the quantification of caries activity over time with a precise and reliable measurement.
- Reproducible results permit checking, stabilization and documentation of caries.
- Ideal device for the hygienist to detect suspicious areas needing further examination.
- Is conservative by avoiding "exploratory" excavation of suspect teeth.
- Extremely accurate diagnostic aid. Proven to be over 90% accurate.
- Early detection of pathological changes that are undiagnosed by conventional examination methods (e.g. initial lesions, demineralization and changes in the enamel, fissure caries).
- No scratching probe: simple, fast and painless examination.
- Increases operator and patient confidence about treatment decisions due to accurate visual and acoustic representation of measured values.
- No x-ray exposure.
- High level of patient acceptance and satisfaction.